View Single Post
Old 12.25.2016, 11:45 AM   #29
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
what kanye would you recommend i try?

bound 2 made me want to stab my eyeballs

Hah. Well, that's weird because I love that song and so does pretty much everyone else (critics, supposed authorities on the matter, Kanye fans).

Aaaanyway, it depends on what you're into. Are you into hip-hop at all? If you're into hip-hop, what Kanye I recommend will be based on what kind of hip-hop you're into. If you like lyrical backpack shit like Talib Kweli, Mos Def (or Mos Def and Talib Kweli as Blackstar for that matter), I'd recommend his output from 2004-2007.
If you're into bangers, and hip-hop with a dancehall edge, industrial elements and raga-influenced vocal sample, there's some specific tracks that I'd recommend.
If you're into sprawling productions, or dark, epic hip-hop, there's an album for that.
If you're into weirder-the-better, then that's another conversation entirely and there's so much to recommend that we should probably do this over pm.

But really the takeaway here, and the big headline about Kanye's music that I'm always trying to get across to people, is that it spans such a wide and diverse world of sounds that it's unfair and inaccurate to even describe it simply as "hip-hop." He has music that sounds like traditional soulful good kid conscious hip-hop, sure, but he also has minimal synth pop, industrial, music that has more in common with electronic genres than anything else. He has crooning ballads and droning dirges, he's blended m hip-hop and no wave, resulting in something that Sonic Youth fans should by all rights enjoy or at least appreciate.

So... tell me what you're into. If you don't like "Bound 2" that's ok, because "Bound 2" is the only song that sounds like "Bound 2."

Not promosing you'll love any of it, but if you give it a shot you'll understand that it's not accurate to call it "mainstream," or to act like it sounds like anything else. Some of it is definitely mainstream, most of it's hip-hop, but fuck man... it's genuinely interesting and very adventurous. And this is coming from a guy who built his world around Sonic Youth, Aphex Twin, Unwound, Tom Waits, Beefheart and Lou Reed. I value interesting music. I value the weird. Boring music is terrible.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|