View Single Post
Old 01.12.2011, 02:06 AM   #40
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananamuffin
I totally agree with you. The first song on the album sets the tone for the whole thing, and to kick things off with a really accessible rock song when the rest of the album isn't like that would be a mistake.

STarting off with a quieter, more abstract Kim number was a good idea. However, Contre le Sexisme is probably the only song on the album I find a true waste of time and would like to get rid of from the album completely. I would nominate "Female Mechanic on Duty" as the opening number. It even has the album name in the lyrics.

I could be cute and point out that "Contre Le Sexisme" has the album name in the lyrics too.

The original track listing had "Ineffable Me" first, I believe. "Contre" was somewhere in the middle. "Snare" was last!

I disliked "Contre" for a long, long time, and perhaps that had some effect on my notorious opinion of the album itself. Don't know...but I like the track quite a lot now...though I rarely listen to this album in its entirety anymore (usually a side or two of vinyl rather than the CD from front to back). I dig that they decided to open the album with a piece snipped from a larger improvisation - it's basically just an injection of the SYR spirit into the lead-off track from the major label album! Then "Sunday" starts and everyone can breathe...for a few minutes...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|