Thread: Hardcore Punk
View Single Post
Old 12.21.2006, 12:57 PM   #56
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)

again, thats why they chose the photocopied art. this was very popular amongst the hardcore community....very "diy".

I like how you're conflating the tone of someone twice your age, the literacy of someone half your age, and the knowledge of neither. I'm pretty certain that the DIY aesthetics they alluded to were more to do with the punk ethos than the hardcore one - the DIY, grainy B&W sleeves of hardcore were inherited from the (British) punk movement. What I've read of SY at the time (which is, truth be told, a fair amount) they borrowed the work ethic of hardcore (ie tour everywhere, forever) but early-SY straddles the ethos of punk/ new wave/ no wave (the latter so marginal a scene as to be pretty insignificant) during CIS-era. Bear in mind that hardcore didn't really start putting out records/ being nationally a notable scene until circa BMR, and SY cut their teeth in the dying throes of late-70s punk and art music.

Edit: Disclaimer - I don't actually care, please disregard if you see fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|