View Single Post
Old 05.18.2014, 04:06 AM   #119
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
Hmmm. On one hand you really make me want to get those earlier Swans records. (I'm a Noisehead in general.) But Man, just because Gira has moved his style towards "songs" and groove, doesn't mean he is selling out or pandering, imho. TBK and Seer sound very steadfastly committed to a vision, which happens to come from a 60yr old vice a 30yr old. Do you want him to repeat himself? I don't hear cartoonish/nickelodeon when I hear these motherfuckers, but to each their own I suppose. (I have some issues with My Father which seem opposite to your concerns - I see My father as a tentative warmup towards the next two releases. It comes across as very restrained imho.)
it's not the shift in sound which has caused me to become slightly more dubious about new swans, but rather that he has really become consumed by a persona, which is so distinctly at odds with that brutally honest feeling which was central to early swans up to the burning world. those records feel like fucking exorcisms, akin to something like jandek or haino et al in that you're disconcerted by the fact that you're essentially listening in on the purging of a tormented individual's misery. there was no artifice to that, it was pure expression. and in that, it's not that I don't want him to repeat itself, more so that I don't feel post-children of god to be the same band, with that record itself to perhaps be the mid-point between the two disparate sounds. of course that isn't to say I dislike what came after, I mean die tur ist zu, soundtracks and swans are dead make up some of my favourite material of theirs. but it becomes more of the 'gira/jarboe' show at that point, it's so far apart from the early stuff. you're in for a fucking treat, but you'll see what I'm talking about there. as far as I'm concerned this is all a lot closer to angels of light, which I'm fine with, but it's not what got me into swans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
That is thing, these past two records don't seem to have any touch of loathing or hatred, the are almost optimistic, albeit in a Swans kind of way
yeah but if I wanted that (which I don't and never will), I'd listen to like fucking godspeed or explosions in the sky or shania twain or some shit. I don't want that euphoric trash from swans, I want aural rape. swans always seemed so ideologically opposed to that, indeed they were like the total opposite, like audible nihilism, an immutable loathing of mankind.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|