View Single Post
Old 04.28.2020, 12:57 PM   #6
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
That's a herculean task. And subject to personal preference, hence much debate.
Well yeah, hence the word "challenge" in the thread title. I had originally made it much harder by adding a guideline about representing Lee-sung songs equally alongside Thurston- and Kim-sung, but then I realized the songs they sing on outnumber his 10:1.

The idea is to structure it in the same way as a typical "Greatest Hits" collection to give someone new to the band a taste of their overall sound. Anything beyond that would be overwhelming to the uninitiated. I included "The Diamond Sea", but I'm thinking of the shortened single edit.

Sacrifices will need to be made. I originally included "Halloween", "Kill Yr Idols" and more tracks off EVOL, but I started running out of room for the later albums. Since I am a "rock guy" at heart, I wanted to include more tracks off Goo and Dirty, but I felt just having "Kool Thing" and "100%" represented their "hard alternative rock" phase well enough. I also ended up under-representing A Thousand Leaves and NYC Ghosts & Flowers since I have yet to get copies of those albums and have only heard a handful of tracks off them.

Quote:
And it would be tough to pick out single tracks off BMR due to the seemless structure courtesy of the segues.
Just fade "Brave Men Run" out as the Metal Machine Music loop kicks in. The album slams right into "Death Valley '69" and the song has a definitive ending.