View Single Post
Old 08.31.2007, 05:33 AM   #34
sarramkrop

The sound of my jaws dropping. Save for Little Trouble Girl, with its 'so so' sedated impersonation of The Shangri-Las, it's pretty much the Sonic Youth album that somehow makes me feel euphoric like I'm high on helium or poppers every single time I put it on. Again, I still haven't worked out how it's possible to write songs with guitars that sound like those on Skip Tracer, with its demented pacing and all. This album has also my favourite vocal delivery by Kim Gordon ever on the title track. Just before it came out, I read somewhere that prominent influences on the record included Patti Smith and The Velvets at their Sister Ray best. Tha's all fine and dandy,I thought, imagining that Sonic Youth would try to up the game on those influences and come up with something else altogether, which they did big time. The Smith influence in particular I hear a lot on the New York City priestess vocal delivery of Kim Gordon on Washing Machine, coupled with some of the best played/sounding guitars that I have ever heard on any records ever. I could go on forever about this or any other of their records, but I'm off for a quick fag.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|