View Single Post
Old 03.12.2012, 11:07 AM   #4
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertonic
It's a 8-bit-ish fuzz/2 octave down pedal that doesn't track notes perfectly (supposed to be part of it's charm) however that can be fixed a bit by clipping a capacitor inside the box. But it does have great tones occasionally. It's really random and jumpy, but in a good noisy way.

Good question on tracking down specific sounds/tracks though. I never seem to hear it totally jump out, but I would probably guess it's just mixed down a bit. It does usually seem to have a pretty strong character. I would also imagine its been used in plenty noise-breakdown-freakouts. Just guesses though...

I would try maybe looking at the equipment pages and matching the pedal-board setups to albums, etc... I remember seeing the blue box in several setups over the years.

IMO, that mod still doesn't make the pedal track notes any better it just makes the fuzz less aparant and increases some volume. Be careful of this mod because it works with units made up 'til about the early 2000's, i had a newer unit and tried the mod and it just made the pedal "non-functioning". i think MXR/Dunlop changed the circuitry slightly at some point.

I still have my blue box as I pulled it out of my chain about 6 or so years ago, because i found that it messed up (in a bad way) the input sustain level signal of my guitars, it took me awhile to pinpoint that it was actually the blue box being the culprit and it cuts sustain while engaged and off! didn't want to try to make it "true-bypass" in that small enclosure to cure this issue or add a compressor/sustainer to my chain... so i just put this pedal in my noise loop chain for awhile but now has found a place in my storage bin of effects. I wonder if vintage units (from the 70's w/o the LED) do this also, I heard they sound much better.

I agree with Chris... the blue box is pretty much a one trick pony, great for noise loops though and running contact mics into them. I prefer the Boss Octave, I had the older OC-2 and it was cool after fuzz/distortion/overdrive effects... but i don't use octave down effects anymore.

btw, I love the hendrix octave fuzz combined with another fuzz/distortion/overdrive i create these huge Godzilla-like roars, and it has a weird great "gate" like effect when subtlely attacking the guitar strings.

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|