View Single Post
Old 03.30.2006, 10:18 AM   #10
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by khchris(original)
It takes 4 years to become an American Citizen after filing and going through the process. What do we do with those who are already in the country?

??? r they being processed for citizenship, in the system, or not?

You brought up the idea that they should "file for proper citizenship or else...", what do we do with those who are already in the country who are made to file today?

Nothing. They stay like they always have, but r accounted for, and in the system, documented. They have X amount of time to follow the process.

Do they have to go through the process just like those who are in line to become citizens legally?

Yes.

Or are they granted citizenship automatically?

No. Have to follow the process first, meeting criteria to advance to citizenship.

If they're not granted citizenship automatically, then are they given green cards/work permits automatically?

Probably yeah, but we know about them.

If they are granted citizenship automatically, what message is being sent to those who go through the process legally?

They're not granted citizenship illegally. They go through the system like everyone else, legally. The only thing that seperates them from legal citizenship, is how they physically got here. Practicality.

I'll state my stance in a moment. I'm just trying to get people thinking about all the angles because IMO this issue is extremely delicate and much more complex than it seems.

Yes, this is very complex. Hell, we haven't even touched on the reprecussions on an economic front. Thinking of all angles and writing about them is more suited for writing a book, not posting dribs and drabs on a message board.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|