View Single Post
Old 05.16.2010, 03:48 AM   #16
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Thurston stopped namedropping them, people stopped pretending to like them. That doesn't just go for here, it's all over the web. Last.fm, etc. There are people who genuinely like them.. pauly, batreleaser, !@#$%!, but I doubt they listen to em much. Their early stuff was... tolerable... in a druggy, messy, ugly way. The later stuff where they wrote songs... well... Pete's certainly a good drummer, Lee plays a cool riff on Body Rot. That's, hm.. that's about it, right? I think they were victims of their own INSANE press, which made people react against them. I mean, when you've got people calling them "the new Sonic Youth", "the next Yeah Yeah Yeahs", or when people said that Markers were helping bring no wave back, stuff like that.. I mean, come on. Look at Wavves. I think people reacted so strongly against Wavves because all the hype thrust upon him, when he wasn't really doing anything particularly interesting or special (I dig quite a few of his songs though), and then people were extremely happy when he burnt out. This band simply released a ton of albums that sound exactly the same, just these long ugly jams, and then somehow were "the next big thing", for no apparent reason. I think that's why, initially, this band fell into the love-it-or-hate-it camp. Now, I think they mainly fall into the "indifferent" camp for most people.

Being a bit older and wiser than I used to be, I can appreciate this band a bit more, and I certainly respect them for going out and playing these jams and whatever, I just never saw the big deal; their music never communicated anything to me.

i think im with you there cooley, theyre not the shit-you-up band that the internet said they were. But they are a welcome addition to anyones soulseek profile.
We all love a chaotic group with a girl singer who screams that we all want to sleep with

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|