View Single Post
Old 06.19.2017, 08:47 PM   #585
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I did too (beatles, doors, etc) but that shit was like kindergarten music to me compared to Sonic Youth, Butthole Surfers, Dinosaur, Megadeth, Misfits, Minor Threat, etc.... I grew up, and learned better, but I still get royal pissed when people fail to understand that young people are STILL LEARNING, still growing, and to berate them for not liking shit that you find important is stupid as fuck. To this day I think the Clash fucking sucks, fucking boring ass bullshit, and I remember assholes who would never ever bother to listen to Bleach or to Hairway to Steven telling me the Clash was god. fuck that shit.

Clash doesn't suck. Listen to "Police and Thieves" and "Complete Control" and stuff. The Clash can not suck and Bleach and Hairwah to Steven can rule without the world crumbling.

You seem to be rather scene-minded.

When I was a teen, I wanted to be Lou Reed and Jack Kerouac and John Coltrane, and I wanted their craziness/brilliance to fit into a package that somehow resembled punk -- something I could bob my head to a bit. So Sonic Youth was like a revelation.

And I was raised to compare everything to the Beatles. Which isn't a bad way to go, really. No artist can be better at doing what the Beatles did than the Beatles were, but it's a good starting point. The Beatles provide several metrics by which a band can be judged — cultural influence, popularity, creativity and inventiveness and actual no-bullsht musical chops. There are worse rubrics I'm sure.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|