View Single Post
Old 03.19.2009, 01:39 AM   #29
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
i bought a cabbage the other day and didnt know what to do with it.
i looked at all kinds of recipes yesterday and was always missing some ingrediant.
in the end i cut up half the cabbage, but it in a pot with onions garlic, chicken, vinegar, chilli, ginger and a few other ingrediant. it came out really good.

anybody have recommendations for what to do with the other half of the cabbage?

yeah. slice it really thin. they way i do that is i cut the thing lengthwise in quarters, then i proceed to slice it as if it was a loaf of bread, but really thin. this gives you a shredded cabbage.

then look for other vegetables to add to the mix. i like carrot, which i shred by hand, and some nice beets, for sweetness (i like the bullseye beets over the traditional one), and either daikon or radishes for a spicy twist. these vegetables have to be in the minority-- add them for flavor, but not to dominate. the key is i think to find a nice balance of flavors to build around the bland but good cabbage.

once you've got all that, you add some apple cider vinegar. not too much, just a splash. the vinegar adds nice acidity and helps to soften the vegetable fiber. then for taste you can add a nice splash of orange juice. if you don't have apple cider vinegar you could use wine vinegar, white might work better with the orange juice, if you use red then probably don't add the orange-- might taste like rotten orange and that's not what you want.

eat this fresh, don't let it get soggy, especially if you used orange. if it's vinegar-only, it will last you into the next day. if you are going to make it your only dish you can add protein in the form of hemp seed, almonds, tofu cubes, sesame seeds, or whatever. i like to eat my cabbage salad next to a nice piece of grilled chicken or some fried codfish or something like that. i would not combine it with eggs: too much sulfur in the farts.

if this recipe is not to your taste go ahead and google "coleslaw". there will be some hideous recipes lurking for sure (with lots of sugar and mayonnaise and distilled white vinegar which is only good for window-washing), but you're bound to find something satisfying eventually.

as you develop this recipe you can make it your own. i'd add shredded apple instead of beets, or use sesame oil for an asian flavor, use purple cabbage, try herbs you might like (parsley? dill?), see what happens with lime juice instead of vinegar, etc. think of the cabbage as a canvas and the other ingredients as your paint.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|