View Single Post
Old 05.01.2017, 09:36 AM   #38
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I just read something about the music industry not doing too well nowadays.

But I can understand Fugazi's sales back the heyday of a healthy industry. Fugazi toured relentlessly, playing fantastic shows, and it paid off.

Not sure how they advertised and promoed a new album. I'd like to hear more about that.

But Fugazi inspired devotion. And it was cool backintheday to order an album directly from the band! In my little neck of the woods, I remember all the cool kids doing so. That special order held a special place in one's CD collection.

Can't say why Fugazi sold more than SY. I'd think most listeners would find both very challenging, but maybe Fugazi is slightly more accessible? I dunno.

Well, yeah about their relentless touring and fiercely loyal fanbase (at least in '93), but I can't find any references to them having a platinum album. That seems weird to me. Like, super weird. And the range between Vs. and IOTKT just boggles my mind. If presented with those numbers, a statistician or scientist would immediately question their data collection methods, and send their study to a few colleagues for review... I think.

Fugazi is, honestly, more accessible than SY. At least, 90% of Fugazi's output is more accessible than 90% of SY's. Rather Ripped might be more accessible than End Hits and Red Medicine, but even those albums are more accessible than Confusion/Kill, Bad Moon Rising, Evol, ATL, NYCG&F and all of the SYR's.

Still, Sonic Youth is a bigger cultural presence, and they're known by more "average listeners" by far than Fugazi. SY did the MTV thing a bit, and they've done the soundtrack thing and had a couple songs with radio traction. Kim Gordon performs at the Rock Hall induction, Thurston played with R.E.M., and they opened for Neil Young. It's shocking to me that Fugazi went platinum when SY has never really even come close (Goo went gold I think... but probably won't get a higher certification any time soon. It's already been almost 30 years.)

Not that I care really. Both great bands would do an honor to RIAA by having any kind of certification. But I just want to see some proof of In on the Kill Taker's million-selling status cuz I am questioning that.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|