View Single Post
Old 04.08.2008, 01:39 AM   #16
clever name
bad moon rising

clever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's asses
I checked out the show last Saturday. I too was astounded to find a friendly young woman working at KS Art who, unlike the people behind the desks at the Chelsea Galleries, was not too cool for her own life.

The paintings were well worth the trip. If you can indulge a moment of over-analysis, read on. I had this great "eureka" moment when I noticed that Ms. Gordon's signatures were "backwards" at the bottom of each piece, really they had been signed on the reverse side of the rice paper and the paintings were hung backwards (kinda). The show is called "come across" and it deals with the slippage and potential reversal that occurs between the two sides of a performance: performer and audience. Likewise, these pieces of rice paper were painted on both sides, with the colors bleeding through (coming across) to the other side of the paper. The image exists in between the two sides of the rice paper. Scoff all you like but it made sense to me.

On a less delusional level: great palette, strong tension between dedication to craft and complete disregard for profession, and genuine effort to capture humanity within the portrait tradition. Just like her songs (Reena, Tunic, Sympathy for the Strawberry, Heather Angel, and on and on). There's even a soundtrack by Kim and Thurston! Wicked awesome.
clever name is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|