View Single Post
Old 06.11.2013, 04:03 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
sighs. This happens in cycles, its like a Championship sports team goes through cycles. Inevitably, there has to be a new scene to burst through and a new label to attract these musicians to aggregate in one place, for a sustained period of time, to mutually create great art. For me, it wasn't just the individual roster of bands that KRS had in the 1990s-early 2000s that I enjoyed, it was the massive network of mutual collaborations between label mates. That label was smart, it made its money by being conducive to artistic collaborations for arts' sake. Big label politics make bands release albums in competition (or not) with each other, and to pace it out. I was pissed when Madonna and Maverick label overpowered Team Sleep and forced their indie side-project from releasing a great album in 2001 to releasing some mainstream crap in 2005, years past the moment when it was relevant. KRS didn't do shit like that. If you knew one band or artist you liked on KRS, it was like a Rosetta Stone to translate and interpret other bands on the catalogue who they collaborated with, you would splinter off into several other bands. One band you liked quickly and directly turned into 3 or 5 bands you liked. Good times.. I can't think of ANY labels or bands that mutually collaborate like that. I'd say that period only happened from 1968-1974 and from 1993-2001..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|