View Single Post
Old 06.10.2012, 09:08 AM   #15899
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
The word "basic," I believe, was also used. "Simple," maybe.

???

i'm sure synonyms happen.

Quote:
Then why is it so fucking long?

I'd ask Fellini, but he's dead.

But if you ask me why it goes over and meanders so much, i'd say it's because it's concerned not so much with its hero but also the world around him. so each "episode" covers something different-- religion, the cult of celebrity, the failure of philosophy, the failure of the family, etc. it's a big complicated world and fellini dared to take on the challenge of surveying it.

Quote:
And why does 8 1/2 feel just as long?

I suppose it's cuz you don't like it? Just a guess. Einstein had some ideas about this.

Quote:
Do films about self-indulgent people need to be so damned self-indulgent?

you don't have to like these movies, but "self-indulgent"? you mean it's wrong of a director to pursue teh themes they like? i don't understand the accusation. it's art, you know? "self-indulgent" by definition.

also: ranting on the internet about movies instead of saving hungry children? self-indulgent.

but to accuse la dolce vita of being self-indulgent just because it's long is an error in judgment. the movie is about all sorts of things going on in society and the world, it's almost a documentary, it's concerned with the things that surround us, so no, it's not so much about "self" or little personal obsessions, which is why it endures so well.

Quote:
I Vitelloni and Nights of Cabiria are my two favs.

great stuff

Quote:
I'm sure they bore a lot of viewers,

i'm sure. it's impossible for everyone to please everyone else all the time.

Quote:
but La Dolce Vita bores me, so there you go.
wait, what do i have to do with your boredom? and why does this matter?

Quote:
And the last time I watched 8 1/2, I fast-forwarded to the bordello scene (which is still mighty impressive) and skipped the rest.

and this is relevant because...?

Quote:
But then, Bergman is my favorite director.

congrats are in order?

Quote:
I'm sure his stuff bores most people to tears, but I find damn near every frame a thrill.

yes, but what does this have to do with la dolce vita or why that movie is great, regardless of your own personal tastes? something can be great and boring at the same time. farming, for example. or the fucking illiad and its unending catalogs.

Quote:
To each their own.

of course. but so?

felikson asked a serious question so i gave him a serious answer. my post above wasn't written for you, but if you feel otherwise i can assure you those feelings are misguided.

anyway, you still could refute what i'm telling him and argue that la dolce vita is not great, or not that important, but doing so with the sole argument that it bores you personally is way more self-indulgent than la dolce vita itself could ever be. yes? yes.

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|