View Single Post
Old 10.17.2014, 04:23 PM   #82
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Cramps is just great!!! Really don´t believe they will never be in Hall Of Fame (not even death of lux caused that).

Ah, yeah. The Cramps never get old, or lose their appeal. I truly doubt that they would ever make it into the HOF, but that's for the best because they don't belong there.

This brings us to one of the biggest philosophical problems with the R&RHOF: so many of the most influential artists in popular music history simply don't belong in the hall itself, either because they aren't "rock" by any stretch of the imagination, or because they so vehemently opposed the Rock N' Roll status quo that the artists themselves would rather be left out than inducted in.

Sonic Youth, for instance. They really were never a rock band. Their music is based on a deliberate deconstruction of traditional rock sounds. They certainly deserve to be acknowledged as one of the most musically innovative and culturally influential groups in music... But like so many other "fringe" acts, they have almost nothing to do with Rock n' Roll.

It would be like putting Allen Ginsberg next to Walt Whitman in some over-generalized "Poetry" exhibition. The two have zilch to do with one another, and it's unfair and lazy to lump them together.

This is why genre is an important and (dare I say essential) thing. When does it fucking end? When all the rock groups have been inducted, what's the HOF going to do? Start nominating Sunn O)))? The Boredoms? The Butthole Surfers?
There should truly be a separate category entirely for avant garde, experimental, and anti-establishment musicians... Or ANY musicians whose legacy would be marred by categorizing their music so fucking simply.

But then again, I am pretty biased. I think it's a little ethnocentric to induct Public Enemy or NWA into this crappy Cleveland tourist attraction for people who like Ted Nugent, or want their picture taken next to a cast of Robert Plant's cock.
Rap is an entirely separate entity. It deserves its own damn Hall of fame. It's just a fucking joke to lump it in with Rock when it's very existence stemmed from cultural and socioeconomic alienation from everything that the record industry, capitalism, and multi platinum ridiculously rich white "rock stars" stood for.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|