View Single Post
Old 11.15.2017, 10:51 PM   #849
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Do you mean to include a DNA link?

Anyway, don't worry. I take him seriously as an artist and I promise I will eventually listen to everything he's done.

---

I'm sort of confused by 4:44. Actually, just confused by Jay-Z, because I found the music itself to be interesting (except for the handful of pop single songs).

First, technique-wise, I don't get it. He's not even really rapping most of the time. Just reciting. If I can fucking do it, is it any good?

Second, I'm not that familiar with his life, so I have a hard time caring about a lot of the songs. I forget the song, but I was really turned off when he regretted not buying a $2 million piece of property. Poor fellow. And I didn't even really care that much that he cheated on his wife.

Anything can be made interesting, but I had a hard time finding any space in his lyrics to invest any deep interest.

But my listen was just a brief run-through, not a thorough, concentrated effort, so maybe something will click with more attention.

--

I appreciate Eminem a lot more than you do, but yeah, that song straight up sucks.

Ok, 4:44 is an album for people who love Jay-Z and have listened to him for years. Like... exclusively. I can’t think of any other explanation, because there are references to his past and his life that only a fan would even understand.
It’s also an album for fans of a certain kind of hip-hop... a kind of hip-hop that Jay has only really done a couple times in his career, usually with the assistance of a famous producers... it’s for lyrical hip-hop fans. People who openly dislike mumble rap, and want more intelligence and consciousness in their rap.

It’s for fans of Tribe, early Lupe, Mos Def, early Kanye, Fugees, etc.

I promise it’s a good album. Just spin it a bit. And if you don’t know Jay, maybe get to know Jay.

Here’s a primer on Jay-Z, containing all the meat and none of the fat... listen to these albums or put them in your streaming library:

Reasonable Doubt
The Blueprint
The Black Album
American Gangster
Blueprint 3
Watch the Throne (more of a Kanye album, but still has some of the best Jay-Z shit ever)

And don’t forget these singles:
• “Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)” (from a largely forgettable album, but a genius pop hip-hop song. You’ve heard it, but you need to be able to appreciate it.
And...
• “Brooklyn Go Hard” from the Notorious soundtrack. This is my favorite Jay song ever. Produced by Kanye. Actually I don’t think it’s available as a single, but stream that shut, because it definitely deserves a spot in the primer.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|