View Single Post
Old 03.20.2012, 10:38 PM   #13
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Great show tonight! First of all, Pantophobia was right. They clear out the merch racks from the middle of the floor and it ends up being a pretty sizable space. A woman working there said it holds about 70, which makes it very much like many other small music venues. Of course, they filled up the place.

The music itself was awesome, with the setlist consisting of all ten songs from the new record. Highlights for me were Fire Island and Hammer Blows, which included Lee pulling out a violin bow. Funny, since neither song is in my top three or four from this record, but live they were great.

Lee seemed very happy and touched by the audience reaction, which is great to see. He told some nice stories for some of the songs and was so gracious with fans afterwards, signing autographs. When introducing Stranded, he said that every record has to have one sappy love song and said it was a bit hard to play this one. I'm paraphrasing, but I think he meant it was difficult because it's so overtly
sentimental. Very nice, intimate show. I'm pretty sure the setlist was:

Off the wall
Waiting on a dream
Angles
Xtina as I knew her
Lost
Fire island
Shouts
Hammer blows
Tomorrow never comes
Stranded