View Single Post
Old 01.14.2016, 02:20 PM   #47682
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Conventional wisdom doesn't care for HISSING OF SUMMER LAWNS? The second half is ever so slightly weaker than the first, but it's overall one of my favs. But what do I know? Everyone else must be right.

No, fuck 'em, they're wrong. The Hissing Of Summer Lawns is one of my very favorites — it just completely melts me away (which is a good thing, you follow). Also, I'm not positive about this but I don't think anyone had done something like "The Jungle Line" in "pop" music before her. When I heard Björk's "Earth Intruders" I immediately thought, "The Jungle Line!" (and I dug it, even though I'm not crazy about The Icelandic One). At the time I didn't know she had previously covered "The Boho Dance"... also from Summer Lawns, whaddayaknow.

ANYWAY, yes evollove, the mooks who write this shit's history in a conveniently tidy fashion close Joni's peak-era with Court And Spark, because afterwards she got all, like, pretentiously jazzy and poetic and shit. Morons.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/10hhqf

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
What's most interesting about Joni, Kate and possibly PJ is that not only are they capable of releasing a string of strong records, but they reinvent themselves along the way. I mean, it's one thing to make three or four good ones in a row. It's another to stretch artistically and veer off into new directions while still producing worthy records. Brave and astonishing, really.

Agreed, except for the "possibly" — that's a "definitely" on Harvey.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|