View Single Post
Old 05.12.2008, 05:17 PM   #95
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
so, let me get this straight, all exotic/foreign music is folk music? no, its not, so whatever.

i just think it comes down to the fact that i like bands who have some exotic influences, like rick bishop, amps for christ, secret chiefs 3, etc.., and i dont like any of the bands who fall into the folk revival or whatever the fuck you wanna call it scene, devandra, lavender diamond, all that shit, it bores me.

and those posts have nothing to do with one another.

i hate how everything posted on this board gets dissected, the things i say are my opinion, what sounds nice to me and what sounds bad/boring/shitty.

You were talking about the traditional music of other countries. "Folk" music is the music traditionally made by the "everyday/common" people living in a certain geographical area in a certain time, by one of its most commonly understood definitions. Your posts had everything to do with one another in that context. Someone from India deciding to do a version of "Barbara Allen" would be doing the same thing you are talking about. I consider Amps For Christ to be a folk group too, and a great one.
There are any number of great modern folk groups that would be doing what they do regardless of prevailing trends, and you obviously know who some of them are (Rick Bishop, Stone Breath, AfC, and a ton more). Stone Breath and its offshoots have been doing "folk music" since way before all this, and will be doing it long after this current wave of interest has waned.
I was just saying your definition was extremely narrow and your perspective came off as super-myopic, whether intentionally or not.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|