View Single Post
Old 04.25.2006, 07:58 PM   #244
Proud Marie
little trouble girl

Proud Marie ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
Cage is not a minimalist. By "minimalist", I mean the specific style of composition that began in the 60's and is typified by composers like Riley, Reich, and Glass. Cage is a modernist and minimlaism is usually seen as the "antidote" to modernism. The way you're using the word is very vague and could be used to describe lots of music. But when you're talking about music, people will assume that you're referring to the specific style of music, not just using a vague descriptive term. Keeps things from getting confusing. Anybody, even Encyclopedia Brittanica, who calls Cage a minimalist is being at best unlcear, but in my opinion, they're just plain wrong.

The only reason I jumped on you is that you said that Cage was crap - how much of his music have you actually listened to? You should listen to his stuff from the 30's and 40's - back when the minimalist composers were little kids.

i stand corrected. my music teacher in 4th grade really idolized him and brought in a bunch of his stuff, none of which i remember by name. She also called him a minimalist, lol. I might have misjudged him since i was in 4th grade, but i dont really like any of the cage stuff on syr4 either
Proud Marie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|