View Single Post
Old 09.11.2014, 02:58 AM   #1063
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I love this thread right now.

I love when sev goes on tirades like that.

suchfriends, you're my boy. But that tirade was dope haha. But I get what you're saying too. I just don't feel it w/ Jesus Piece. I like that album.

RE: The Red Album, I agree there's moments that are out of place. But I said no Game album (proper) sucks. There might be misfires, but the albums, on a whole are good. LAX has phenomenal tracks. But a couple missteps for sure. What was that ladies jam on there that I always skip?

Also, no idea the Jeezy was out yet. Haven't kept up w/ him too close. Knew one was coming but didn't know it was out.

SGP's Intoxxxicated I'm w/ you sev. That album is so unique. I think it's great. Rick Ross might be my fav hip hop album of the year. I'm still not sick of Iggy, though she's slipped down a few notches sure.

Anyway,

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP - 2000 - Aftermath
If the Eminem on The Slim Shady LP was a laughably over-the-top caricature of violence, drugs and debauchery, then the one heard here is his polar opposite. Dark, depressed, angry. This is Eminem backed into a corner by his own unexpected success and lashing out at the world around him. Though as usually the line between fantasy and reality is stupidly blurred so it's hard to make out who's voice we're hearing from moment to moment: Eminem? Slim? Marshall? Whoever it is, this is an extremely compelling album. It's an impressive follow-up that comes pretty hot on the heels of Slim's breakthrough album. It's also somewhat a line drawn in the sand - a challenge to his own fans. In a sense it's as if he tries to offend and disgust enough to lose as many listeners as possible. I mean the album opens with "Kill You," a track aimed at his own mom. And killing isn't even the only thing he does. But it shouldn't be written off as a gross-out album either. "Stan" is an obvious example with its vivid storytelling and dual roles played by Em. It's a haunting track that is goosebump-worthy, and follows "Kill You." If that isn't foreshadowing of the bipolar journey that the rest of the album will be! And that's the point. This isn't a simple album. It's got many layers and many stories being told by many voices - regardless of who's name is on the cover.

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III - 2008 - Cash Money
To truly hear Tha Carter III you need to hear everything that it isn't. What I mean by this is that the year leading up to its release was flooded with so much Lil Wayne - some sanctioned and some leaked. There was enough quality material released that an album just as strong - or stronger could have been compiled from its outtakes alone. And that's the double-edged sword here. No matter how successful the album is proper, it was prone to disappoint fans for leaving off something ("Feel Like Dying" deserved to be an album cut!). But with that inevitability admitted, it really is a successful album. Although its far less cohesive than its predecessor, Carter III is a sprawling work that varies from crazy stream-of-conscious mixtape Wayne ("Dr. Carter," "Phone Home," "Let The Beat Build"), serious storyteller Wayne ("Tie My Hands," Playing With Fire") and definitely poised for superstardom Wayne ("Comfortable," "Lollipop," "Mr. Carter"). While certainly this was the album where the cries of "sellout!" begin, it's hard to hate on the sheer pleasure that Weezy takes in playing with words throughout this album. This is at a point where his craft was so sharpened from the run of mixtapes he had been using as shadowboxing. So even the attempts at radio play here tend to have at least something interesting going on. It would be easy for him to stick to autopilot on a track like "Got Money" right? But he has fun riding the beat all over the place, switching over to Rihanna's "Umbrella" vocal melody. On the other end of the spectrum who would really think to use autotune on a track like "Ain't Got Nuthin" that features Juelz Santana and Fabolous going so hard over an Alchemist beat? This is truly a transitional album. One that works amazingly well.

You know I'm with you 100% on Carter III. At the time of its release, Weezy was an artist I couldn't understand. I didn't even really give him a chance until Dedication 2 & 3, which helped me get a feeling for his raw power as an emcee. But I couldn't understand why he was being taken so seriously as an artist, or why HARDCORE, intellectual hip-hop fans were in his corner. I guess memories of Hot Boyz and the CashMkbeh label at its ostentatious worst were still too fresh in my head.

I think you're right, that in order to "get" the significance of C3, one really has to spend some time with the first two Carter LP's and Wayne's self-reinvention as a grown up rapper. So while it was Dedication that made me stand up and take notice, and it was C2 that made me think, "ok, this ninja is the real deal, and he has his own unique voice and presence in hip hop," it was Carter III that made my jaw drop, and made it so that even I, who was pretty much only bumping Wu-Tang (a personal renaissance of Wu thanks to 8 Diagrams), Jigga, Nas and underground classics like Dr Oc and The Cold Vein at the time, HAD to admit that the hype was, for once, true and accurate to the point of being a fucking collective cultural understatement.

It was so good it was almost a fucking mistake. It shined so bright compared to the lil Johns of the world that it stopped Wayne's critical and commercial rise cold, leaving nowhere for the poor guy to go but down. Now I still love Carter IV, and the remaining Dedications. I even like IANAHB2. But he might as well have been 2 Chainz (nothing against 2 cheezy ) from C4 forward.

Now he's done his experimental shit, which I'm normally all for but in Wayne's case I believe he was simply running from the fear of self-comparison. Why else would he make rock and blues projects? He was fucking scared.

And now, after early reports suggested that CV was going to be more "mature," his review in last month's XXL indicated that he had no such thing in mind. And that's sad, because what's really startling aboht Carter III is how fucking smart it is. It ends with an open letter to one of the country's leading voices on the socio-economic status of Black Americans, and it not just stoned babble- It's a legitimate argument!! And he has the cahones to say "Al Sharpton, Indint respect you, and I never will and this is why."

That was a mature moment. Wayne has it in him to be THAT LIL WAYNE 24/7, but he can't let the kids think he's going soft or going political...no no must make sure everyone knows Wayne likes pussy and money. So teens will want to bump his shit in the ghetto.

all that aside, and regardless of what the future
holds for Weezy-- whether it's more of the same, or another inspired mainline into the cultural and musical zeitgeist-- Tha Carter III is an album that has secured itself a spot on the list of the most important and game-changing hip hop records ever made, and that's something that nobody can take away from Wayne... Not even Wayne himself.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|