View Single Post
Old 04.21.2016, 03:23 AM   #29
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I have a real soft spot for '90s and '00s Tom Waits. I think he hit a late career stride with Real Gone, Alice and Blood Money. And I love the '90s material like Black Rider and Bone Machine. And of course because I'm human and have ears, I love Rain Dogs and Swordfish Trombones and so on and so forth.

But I don't think it was until Real Gone that I started to consider him one of my favorite artists of all time. Something about that album just floored me. It's urgent, and it's subtle, and it's mysterious and it sounds like a wild animal. The solo in "Hoist that Rag" just kills me. It's got this mix of bluesy soul, dirty hard rock and even bits of dub and punk. Almost sounds like it could be a Clash record at times. And something about that sound and feeling seems to live in Let England Shake too. And Hope Six.
I think it was -89 when I heard Swordfishtrombones first them and after that I have been huge Waits fan! Bone Machine was my first album to buy right after itīs release and it hit me hard right in the beginning, so did Black Rider. I was also glad after Mule just because there was so long time between Rider and Mule, but started thinking then he is getting old and little bit softer. To my suprise Blood Money & Alice were again sharper & greater than Mule. And I was really glad Real Gone was so raw album in the time almost everybody else made too much produced albums. Itīs also of course songwriting is just great in those albums. Have to mention also Oprhans, itīs just so absolutely great when itīs supposed to be "just a off-takes compilation".

Really, Tom Waits creativity has been in the middle & last parts of his career. I donīt believe I would become ever so big fan of him if he hadnīt met Kathleen and started to make Swordfish etc.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|