View Single Post
Old 09.24.2013, 03:04 PM   #24
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I agree mostly with what Genteel Death just posted. Since about the mid-2000s, the Lee and Thurston solo projects seem like they are putting out records for the sake of putting out records, not necessarily inspired or authentic productions for the sake of art. Sonic Youth always felt like the absolute best art these artists could produce, and its understandable, much like a Championship basketball team, its the chemistry of different artists coming together that produces greatness, not individual talent. Individual talent is nothing without a vehicle and outlet to build, create, and evolve. Sonic Youth as a band is fantastic, its component parts on their own only have glimpses of creative greatness.

However, I don't think its just crassly commercial, I think there is some sincerity even if it doesn't translate into great records. While I don't really listen to a lot of the solo projects, I definitely applaud them. I like bands and musicians who are flexible, who make music in all kinds of different projects. I like to listen to bands, whose internal members introduce you to several different bands that they are also in as side-projects. Its like fractal geometry in music. However, with Sonic Youth, the fractals aren't as great as the whole.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|