View Single Post
Old 07.07.2010, 08:17 PM   #24860
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Stay away from 38. Special + Molly Hatchet (I actually went to school w/ a girl named Molly Hatchet, haha).

I don't know, man. It's really hard to say...most of the blusier-rockish stuff I've been listening to lately doesn't come from the south...but is def. informed by it. I hear it in some of the Southern Lord stuff...esp. Earth's "Hex". I'm sure you've heard it already.

Lotsa peeps are diggin' the Drive by Truckers (they are from GA). They started out somewhat punk rock but moved into a somewhat southern rock direction. I'm not a serious fan, but you might dig 'em. Lots of good reviews on their new record.

The Glasspack are are ok. I want to say they are from LA, or maybe TX...can't remember. Sorta like Jesus Lizard meets southern-fried rock.

The Allman Brothers are excellent (well, were....).

I listen to tons of straight-ahead blues more so than southern rock, and quite a bit of stuff informed by the blues (like say the Stooges + MC5) but def not southern rock.

Some blues artists I'd recommend:

Skip James
Blind Willy Johnson
Buddy Guy (LISTEN TO "SWEET TEA", more specifically the song "Baby Please Don't Leave Me" off of that Sweet Tea album....listen to it NOW on youtube...like, RIGHT NOW...haha). Buddy deserves much, much more than what he gets.
Mississippi John Hurt (if ya like story-teller type blues)

You prolly know all this stuff already. I'm gonna stop before I make a fool of myself.
you're probably right this time but i don't want to listen
you're probably right this time but i don't even care

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|