View Single Post
Old 03.07.2015, 02:36 AM   #5
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
Ok, so I've been on a near-exclusive Sleater-Kinney run since No Cities To Love came out. I've been listening to S-K's entire discography back and forth and just marveling. That is until Girl In A Band came out. For whatever reason it inspired me to put on Washing Machine today. Loud. When asked, I typically point to Sister and Daydream Nation as SY's zenith. But man, someone can EASILY make the argument that Washing Machine is their high point. Serisously. Perhaps it's the joy Coco brought, but SY is creatively - and technically - so "on point" throughout the recording. It's nothing short of a masterpiece. Thurston's songs are great. Kim's songs are great. Lee's songs are great. They are tight, focused, and weird throughout. I'm just blown away again. Great, great record and a reflection of better times for the band.
Funny i haven't even listened to a single tune from new SK and am waiting for the show in May BUT ive been bumping SY on heavy rotation. Yesterday was Washing Machine on repeat, today it was Sonic Nurse with my usual accompanying religious experience..

To be sure i think SY had three distinct high water marks.. Daydream Nation where their music finally became something more "conventional".. Washing Machine where their sound became more "polished" and Sonic Nurse where their stageshow became a culmination of everything they are a kind of harmonized chaos.. to me Nurse is their all time high point but im biased, i love that record so much i could marry it

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|