View Single Post
Old 04.02.2006, 01:52 PM   #28
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka (novella) my favortie short work

The Gold-Bug - Edgar Allan Poe (tale)...of course he has so many other classic tales, but this one, The Murders of Rue Morgue, & The Purloined Letter featuring his C. Auguste Dupin character are my favorites. The Black Cat is a masterpiece & The Imp Of the Perverse is also very noteworthy.

The Cossacks, The Devil, Master & Man, & Alyosha The Pot from my Tolstoy Short Stories book impressed me greatly.

The Double, The Christmas Tree & a Wedding, Notes From Underground (novella), White Nights, The Crocodile are probably my picks by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Lazarus - Leonid Andreyev

Misery, A Dead Body, The Duel - Anton Chekhov

The Queen of Spades - Alexandr Pushkin

The Cloak - Nikolai Gogol

An Anarchist - Joseph Conrad

Yeah, Ernest Hemingway is masterful at crafting short stories:
The Killers, The Big Two-Hearted River, The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber are probably my favorites. I had read too much about A Clean Well-Lighted Place before I read it, I think. I wonder if Hemingway ever read Turgenev's A Sportsman's Sketches. His writing definitely owes something to Anton Chekov & Honore de Balzac.

Magister Ludi or The Glass Bead Game, Siddhartha (novella) - Herman Hesse

From high school & college I especially remember Bret Harte's The Luck of Roaring Camp, Twain's The Celebrated Jumping Frog Of Calaveras County & of course, Shirley Jackson's The Lottery.

William S. Burroughs' autobographical Junky is a short novel, about the same length as a short story.

blots, I liked the movie Jesus' Son; I should probably check out some Denis Johnson. That sounded weird. Penis Johnson? I should probably read some D. Johnson.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|