View Single Post
Old 10.08.2015, 10:22 AM   #4153
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am all for digitization of everything we can digitize, but electronic media is dependent on a functioning electrical grid and huge amounts of energy. We assume that our world will get ever more digital and electronic and away from "analog" but that is a purely self-absorbed and narrow view of a potential future.

You don;t think the people working at the Library of Alexandria thought the same thing back then? That they had amassed a storehouse of knowledge for intellectuals, scientists, and researchers to use forever? All that took to destroy was some flame.

Our electronic media is even more fragile than that.

Books have lasted hundreds of years. papyrus has lasted thousands. same with clay tablets. Those are analog, REAL things. CD's? nearly obsolete and they all degrade much faster than vinyl. .pdf files? Please print them out on good paper for as soon as the opreating systems no longer support that software they are useless.