View Single Post
Old 01.09.2023, 10:45 AM   #25395
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
hideous kinky (kate winslet, 1998, lol)

i'm not sure how much of a "movie" this was but i liked it.

first because kate winslet was in it, and like that review about mare of easttown said she will carry anything that she's in (ok, i will probably never see "titanic", so i can't confirm there, but the other stuff hell yes).

second, because when i could not figure out wtf this movie/non-movie was about, i ended up googling it and i found out this was about one babymama and a couple of the many scattered children of lucian freud (did he really have 40? lol).

it's a thin veil, as some names and occupations have been barely obscured or altered, but yeah, it's based on an autobiographical novel. so, twice removed from memory, but not by much. and i've been entertained reading a little bit of the gossip and one thing leads to another.

the title is from words the children like to scream at random. what they actually mean in their context and why they say them is never explained in the movie. don't know if it was in the book. but it's funny to see the kids running around screaming in their private language.

anyway this is not any kind of great movie or anything, and i feel like it needed explanatory footnotes, or prior acquaintance with the subject matter and the future celebrities featured in the story. but hey! kate winslet! and art history gossip! so... another title successfully removed from the old watchlist.

eta: apparently the source book might be even more opaque, judging from this review, because it features an actual child narrator: https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ks.estherfreud
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|