View Single Post
Old 03.28.2006, 01:28 PM   #3
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
These are just random unformulated thoughts that will likely get me ostracized, but so be it.

I hope not!

I can see your point, but I think the majority of lyrics are written around some kind of form or idea, and as such there will be some kind of meaning. This is especially apparant in a song like Youth Against Fascism, where the video also ties in ideas that are complememtary to the impression that the song gives.

Apart from that, I think it's nice to see how different interpretations can arise - interpretations of a song will be a reflection not only of the song's contents but will also be an intellectual consequence of factors such as one's upbringing, education, society, personal relationships, religion etc etc etc. If I were the artist, I'd enjoy seeing what different interpretations people had of my product. I think.

I think that lyrics, such as displayed in songs like Beauty Lies In The Eye or Chapel Hill for example, are evidently not the result of freeform creation - there's a subject that's being explored, and since we each have our own experience (or impression) of any given subject, we will each percieve things in a slightly different way.

Or do I stand for everything you are railing against?

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|