View Single Post
Old 03.01.2010, 02:07 PM   #68
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
The thing is, London (where dubstep comes from) has an absolutely massive Jamaican community. So does Bristol, another hotspot for dubstep. In the same way that the two cities produced loads of DnB (heavy on the dub beats), so too do they produce dubstep. I know people still make dub, and I'm sure a lot of them do it very well but, let's be honest, its prime was in the late-70s. Dubstep isn't a load of people taking the piss out of Jamaican dub or Rastafari, but using some of the ideas as part of music's continuum.

Dubstep isn't 'exploiting' another culture, it's expressing its own, which happens to be massively saturated in dub. I could easily patronise you and say you wouldn't understand that, not having spent any time in London, but I'll say I do think you need to respect that you can't comment on a culture you haven't lived in or near.

Edit: I should also mention that the actual dub content of most dubstep I hear these days is pretty small, except in the reverbed drums.

seen. the UK is a hotbed for the evolution of early and pioneering dub tactics..

I guess as a rastafari purist, I like to dig into the dub vaults rather then get up on new artists. Generally with reggae, we stick in the vaults and with the established artists catelouge, and also the original artists are still putting out fantastic albums. Don Carlos just put out one.. Burning Spear.. Steel Pulse.. Israel Vibes etc etc these artists still tour and put our albums. I am going to see Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus next week!!!

that being said, I rarely dig into new stuff, since there is still so much old stuff in the vaults, especially with dub.

also, the exploitation, in Rastafari we are VERY VERY sensitive of this. If DUBSTEP artists use rastafari culture/image/language/concepts we would prefer they come to Rastafari directly, and this not racial/ethnic, this is cultural. Rastafari are as much upset with fakin jamaicans or boogie black folks as with white kids from the burbs wearing One Love t-shirts to the country club

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|