Thread: The Fall
View Single Post
Old 06.24.2008, 08:26 AM   #79
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
That isn't a good thing at all. Mark E Smith is famous for his lyrical skills within a musical contest, heavily influenced by his say over the musicians that he often recruits and help out making The Fall sound they they do. Even though I admire and appreciate his way with words, I sometimes suspect that he might not have been all that revered if his lyrics was all that he was famous for.

I absolutely agree with this. MES is a fine lyricist, but were he a poet rather than a songwriter I'm sure his status would be minimal. The Fall lyrics are better than those of most bands, but thats hardly surprising given the generally poor standard of lyric writing. I know a couple of English literature professors that take MES quite seriously, but not so seriously as to think of him in the same way that they do, say T.S. Elliot or Pound. I think the only lyricist in the Rock/pop idiom that has ever truly been taken seriously within high-brow literary circles is Bob Dylan.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|