View Single Post
Old 11.12.2006, 02:38 AM   #5
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://breaphene.blogspot.com/2006/1...mber-rain.html

A Tribute to Sun Ra, or November Rain

Wednesday we had gorgeous weather. Sunny, almost 70. And then Friday, when I left my office around 4:00 to get something to drink, I was quite startled to see that snow was whipping past the windows in thick clumps, and everything outside was covered. This was particularly great, because I was supposed to drive down to the Hideout for Thurston Moore's Sun Ra tribute that night. It took me about an hour an a half to get from work to I-90, and I almost didn't do it ... but the weather forecast for Chicago promised only rain, at least until after midnight. And a little past Janesville, as advertised, the annoying snow turned to less annoying rain. Whew. So...

The Sun Ra tribute at the Hideout was really cool. It was the kickoff to a weekend symposium on Sun Ra, and featured a couple of performances. First up was My Barbarian, a ... band ... from L.A. that was hilarious and pretty entertaining. They're heavy on the performance art. I looked them up just now and found the following: "If Gwar was a children's show", and (from the L.A. Times) "retarded/brilliant". That about sums it up!

After some between-set Sun Ra tunes, the main event took the stage. Thurston Moore on guitar, Jim Baker on keys, and the awesome Avreeyal Ra on drums. My background and knowledge of music-making can't do it justice with a good description, but I enjoyed it very much. They ended with a dreamier, slower piece after a frenzied beginning. And I'm hoping Kris has some good pictures.

When the show was finished, Tim gave one last TimSpeech. I said hello to Seņor Cline on my way to the bar, and upon my return to the music room I noticed that two cops were making their way in. But no worries - they were just Thurston fans. Ha. I love the Hideout. Anyway, I drove back to K-town in the rain (no snow!) and that was Friday.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|