View Single Post
Old 01.08.2016, 11:48 AM   #42
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I was not being rude to YOU. I was being rude to shit ass Kanye. You are not what you like, right? I am not what I like either. I fully respect your opinions about Kanye, and I ask that you respect mine, although it is a polar opposite to yours!

Fuck Kanye, he sucks SHIT. His music is BORING. people LOVE brong music because most people are boring in themselves! Celine Dion sells out $300 a seat theaters in Vegas every fucking day and she sucks major ass. the most popular TV show in US? Big Bang Theory, possibly the single worst piece of shit sitcom of the last ten years... popularity does not equal quality.

Yeah, I actually said that already. Not just the thing about popularity not determining quality (which honestly doesn't need to be said - it's a given, and being adults, I doubt we need the reminder), but also the thing about opinions.

Touched on respect too.

I'm just genuinely surprised to hear someone as intelligent and articulate as you are make such a blunt and unrefined statement. It's fine if you disagree with me, but the way you chose to disagree kind of surprised me. I'm used to reading your blog at this point, and hearing you express yourself more imaginatively and maturely.

Also, to some extent we really can be what we like. I hate that "you are what you listen to" shit that snobby vinyl stores peddle because it's marketing attitudes of exclusivity and contributing to generations of know-it-all pitchforkian assholes who think they're god's gift to music fandom.

But we all surely have artists whose music means so much to us personally that it becomes part of our identity even when nobody's around to reflect it back on us (which is what shallow little record store twerps want - to be recognized as that "cool music" guy/gal who is insulted by the mere mention of musicians that aren't up to his/her standards).
I have as deep an emotional connection with certain musicians as I do with authors. Kanye's one of them, though I never expected that he would be. So while I accept that everyone has their own opinion, I also can't entirely distance myself from the music.

It's kind of like if you'd said "fuck Lou Reed/Thurston Moore/John Lennon, they suck shit" ... I've spent a lifetime with these artists and their music is part of who I am. I'd expect more than just a "fuck him, he sucks shit" if you were talking abojt Salinger or Gabriel Garcia Marquez as well. Not saying Kanye West is a talent of that magnitude, but he could be. I really think it's time for the world to stop viewing hip-hop as a trivial and shallow genre. When all you expect out of it is braggadocio, you're closing yourself off to what it could be, and I think Kanye West has proven that the genre is a great deal more complex and fluid and malleable than anyone previously thought possible.

... is all.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|