View Single Post
Old 01.04.2010, 10:57 AM   #10
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
you are crazy.

Get a stacker turntable. sonic youth have set it up so that if you stack both platters, so you hear side one and then side 3, it sounds like side one is ending (leaky lifeboat), and when side 3 drops it fades back in as if it was one continuous track!

the same thing happenes for side 2 and side 4, if you p,ay them on a stacker.

stop crying you big baby. the LP eternal rules all. you get 15 minutes a side, that is choice for enjoyment.

Those record sides used to be 1 and 4, 2 and 3 so you could stack side 2 on top of side 1...see ? I haven't seen The Eternal on vinyl so maybe side 3 is actually side 2 ?

15 minutes a side is GREAT for fidelity. 25 minutes a side and your grooves are so small the music will sound like shit. I once had a Miles Davis record that had 29 minute sides and it was the worst sounding vinyl I'd ever heard.

Oh...and those who complain that a modern cd is SO EXPENSIVE.."so I download nearly EVERYTHING"...wait a minute ! In the glory days of vinyl, albums were about $6-$9 for ~ 35-40 minutes of music. Nowadays..cd's are 60-75 minutes many times...so factor in inflation and time...SHIT ! CD's are MUCH cheaper nowadays..I don't buy the "poor kid who can't afford cd's crapola"..that has contributed to the "album" and "cd" decline...

one of many articles about the 'standard' for today's listening and acquisition of music,

The albums' slow fade

The full-length album used to be king of the mountain. But now major labels are learning that shorter may be better.

EPs — originally extended-play "single" releases that are shorter than traditional albums — have long been popular with punk and indie bands. But some industry insiders predict that major-label acts will follow the lead of artists like Lady Gaga, who released "The Fame Monster" EP in November, and watched it soar.
Why? Consumers' buying habits are evolving faster than the arrival of the latest iTunes software upgrade, and the industry's big players are being forced to adapt.
Imagine a wonky world where Susan Boyle releases her music via digital-only singles while My Chemical Romance puts out three EPs in place of a full-length record. While U2, Green Day and others of their stature will likely stay strong on the full-length CD train, others — maybe T.I., Kelly Clarkson or the All American Rejects — might resort to releasing shorter records.
Those are just hypotheticals, but music-biz leaders noticed when "The Fame Monster" peaked on the Billboard charts at No. 5.
Surely, the full-length record isn't dead. But it's clearly ailing.
"If people want their music in a box, you don't give it to them in a suitcase," said Ryan Tedder, the Denver-based frontman for OneRepublic and a prominent pop songwriter and producer. "Some big artists will be putting out singles or EPs this coming year, and it's all about them trying to meet their fans where they're at."
The singles scene
Today's pop-music fans are more technologically savvy than ever. They know how to download singles — and whether they're paying or not is another issue. More important, many fans only want the single. They've sampled the record in its entirety on music sites like lala.com, and they're OK with owning only two songs off the album, even from their favorite artists.
The trend is as alarming for major labels as it is for the artists who call those labels home.

more....

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|