View Single Post
Old 04.01.2015, 09:01 AM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
but he seems to think it's a bit weird that some people can't listen to the music any more because of the whole situation...which I personally agree is extremely creepy and weird.

yeah this is what i meant by not accurate

he didn't say "it's creepy and weird" and so you "agree"

he said that it surprises/shocks/bewilders him-- and that it's crazy/unbelievable

"creepy and weird" connotes some sort of pervert shit going on-- like peeping toms or public transit frottists.

Ce qui me sidère, ce sont ces gens qui déclarent qu’ils ne peuvent plus écouter ma musique, depuis. Que j’aurais tout gâché pour eux. C’est dingue. Pourquoi écoutaient-ils Sonic Youth, alors, c’est à se demander…

-->

What astounds me are those people who declare that they cannot listen to my music, afterwards. That I have ruined everything for them. That's unbelievable. Why did they listen to Sonic Youth, then, one has to wonder...

=====

I do not find it that surprising that he's ruined it for some. Saving the considerable distances, there are a lot of people who can't watch old Cosby reruns or Woody Allen movies post-accusations.

For some, the art is separate from the artist. For others, the art is a sort of projection of the artist's personality and yes it ruins all for them to find their hero was flawed.

I'm not saying that rape or pedophilia are equivalent to toying with your spouse (some will say it is a high crime regardless), but I can totally understand why some people feel that way about him now. (Me I never liked Thurston's solo stuff before the split.)

And I can understand why Thurston is frustrated with the public's reaction, but it's not astonishing as he claims. That has been discussed to death and he's playing dumb a little bit. "Oh, I cannot understand...!" Yes, of course you can-- you might not like it or agree with it, but you can understand. Punk has always latched itself to ethics as opposed to the older degenerate sellout rockstar. That, and not sound, was the point of it for many people. (Me, I don't mind old degenerate sellout rockstars provided they're not hypocrites about it).

Agree or disagree but it's not such a mental leap to be able to see another's point of view especially when it's so commonly held.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|