View Single Post
Old 04.01.2015, 03:14 AM   #9
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
It's your mother, on the cover of your album The Best Day?

TM: Yes, in 1942 , Florida. She has twenty years . I found this picture on one of his old notebooks . I love the feeling of happiness and fulfillment it gives off. This photo exudes calm , tranquility , recklessness .

My mother still lives and wants to go back to Florida to end his days . She is 85 years old . My father died in 1976. So there has never known anything of my fate with fabulous musician Sonic Youth ! What would he think? Mystery. He did not take rock seriously, he did not care very often. There were only the classic home, even jazz . I was not at all unhappy or in conflict with it , but I was attracted to this marginal rock'n'roll subversive ...

These are my older brothers who made me discover the rock, in the 1960s ; the Beatles, the Stones ... everybody talked about it, it intrigued me . I liked especially the idea that it could been disturbing, radical.

But I remember he came to my father to play the piano quite dissonant things, Rachmaninov and others. And it displeased my grandmother, too pianist. She always said, "Oh! your father, why does he insist on playing this unpleasant and dissonant music? ". It must have marked me deeply enough, this idea of ​​a slightly offbeat approach, disturbing music.

It was enough that I see a picture of Iggy Pop and Patti Smith to want to hear their music. James Taylor, so popular at the time, left me unmoved. Almost no one bought the album New York Dolls at its output in 1973. But I do. I was not buying the Allman Brothers or Yes, no, something drew me to the most disturbing and uncontrollable musicians like Captain Beefheart. It's also strange that all these discs were in the balances bins. Nobody wanted. And I was the only ones I could afford. As if we were made for each other. In any case, they suit me perfectly, in their strangeness. The Spotlight Kid, Beefheart, Ege Bamyasi, Can, or Yeti, Amon Düül II suit me, while my older brothers listened to Led Zeppelin and all the more mainstream rock. I am also interested to Alice Cooper and David Bowie, because they too seemed different, weird. And yet I was a boy everything he's more

It was an attraction to what you were not ?

TM: I do not know. But punk fell at just the right time for me. In 1976, I was 17 years old. The heart of New York was an hour and a half from Connecticut and I was able to find me in the front row . I saw Suicide and Cramps at Max's Kansas City, and I immediately felt in my element. At the opposite extreme of Rick Wakeman and all the pompous rock that dominated . But I was the only one to experience this. Finally , no, we were two . There was this guy who was with me , but he was because he was gay. The difference reassured him