View Single Post
Old 04.01.2015, 03:09 AM   #8
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
You come from a time when rock was defined in opposition to the system, institutions, the academic ...

TM: Yes, but everything has changed so much , changed so dramatically since. Would not that the way we consume music, and therefore the way for an artist to present it. Because nobody buys records, how to continue to offer ? New ways must be devised to exist, to make its working musician . Record discs or playing in small clubs seems of another age , we must now go through the world of art or literature . Look PJ Harvey, she recorded her new album in an art gallery , it is a kind of public performance, such as " come and see these animals creating their funny sons!

You find yourself in London today , where there is a long tradition of rockers from art schools ...

TM: London always fascinated me for that. The link seemed normal , logical, between studying art and rock'n'roll . Because in England the schools were open to all , whereas in the US they are expensive and do not brew a very privileged wildlife.

Where this gap still much stronger across the Atlantic between rock called primary and the other, more intellectual ?

TM: Absolutely . The New York magic of the late 1970s is that the two have finally crossed , mixed . There was one side the Ramones and Talking Heads another . It was amazing to see them play at the same place at the same club. But they shared the same spirit of perversion. Talking Heads were aware of what the avant-garde, the other purely instinctive . The meeting of this cerebral approach and the momentum reinvention of primitive rock'n'roll was so exciting to see. It no longer seems possible today, because everyone knows everything about everything , nothing is spontaneous ... Rock is taken seriously everywhere. Every old fanzines, posters or flyers rock sell like works of art ...

Who could have imagined that Johnny , Joey, Dee Dee and Tommy , the four original members of the Ramones , could all disappear? Them who were the emblem of eternal youth power! It's scary to think about. But perhaps that their death has only strengthened the artistic value of punk ?

How and where did you grow up ?

TM: In a rather conservative environment . In Florida, then when I was 10 years old , we settled in Connecticut, because my father landed a position at the university . I stay happy . We were in 1968 and in 1972 , I followed , in Creem magazine , all the New York underground scene , the Velvet Underground , the New York Dolls ...