Thread: Drum Kit
View Single Post
Old 07.12.2006, 05:02 PM   #33
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Plus, super-cheap sets are usually not as "playable" as somewhat better ones, which can be frustrating and make the learning process more difficult. I know that after a few years of having a crappy guitar and then getting a nicer one, my playing improved drastically in a far shorter amount of time just by having an instrument that was "more playable."
Also, if you ultimately decide not to pursue it, a somewhat nicer set will retain more value and be easier to sell without losing a ton of money on the whole thing...
A nicer instrument is always a good incentive to work on your playing. Having a beginner's technique and skill is hard enough without having an instrument that sounds crappy and feels rickety.

Ah, see, now I'm of the school that says it's better to learn on a crappy instrument, because the flaws and imperfections, once conquered, will make you a better player. The logic running that if you play a crappy guitar well, you'll play a good guitar better. And also, no harm done if you buy a low-price piece of shit and then give up and sell it, whereas it can be difficult to shift expensive things quickly. The price-drop in 'bought' to 'selling' on expensive gear can make the money lost seem a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|