Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 05.08.2006, 01:51 AM   #12
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
I'm not really into singer/songwriter stuff. This is mainly because I have a tendency to ignore lyrics. And if you ignore lyrics, you'll be pretty bored listening to Bob Dylan. But there are few (if any) better than Dylan at what he does. I guess.

I have Another Side of Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, Highway 61 Revisited, Nashville Skyline, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, and The Times They Are A-Changin'. All good, but I don't listen to them much. To me, music that relies so heavily on lyrics doesn't reward a ton of re-listenings.

When it comes to actual songs, I prefer art song. There's more interaction between the vocal line and the music. The music in Dylan (and a lot of singer/songwriter stuff) often seems like just a vehicle for his lyrics. Rap music for white folks, in a way. That's a really rough analogy. Anyway, it is really hard to resist when he starts in with the harmonica. Honestly, it gets me in a soft spot. Like those places on a baby's head. Mmmmmm.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|