View Single Post
Old 12.31.2011, 06:56 AM   #4
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
I do from time to time whenever the mood hits. They're still my favorite band, but I'm not nearly as enthused about them as I was once upon a time, which is probably a result of spending years listening to them/reading any interview/bio I could get my hands on. I don't feel as if they are a band I can still learn a lot from.

Whenever I do listen to them it's usually "A Thousand Leaves" or "Bad Moon Rising". Sometimes I'll throw on other albums of theirs as background noise if I'm cleaning or something, seldom am I excited by whatever I'm listening to though. Just something that happens after spending so many years following/listening to a band.

I sometimes think about deliberately not listening to them for a few years in hopes of rekindling the excitement I used to get out of them, but usually opt out of the idea and shoot for listening to new stuff by other bands instead.

All of this said, I doubt they'll ever cease to be my favorite band. They shaped the way I'd go on to listen to and respect music. They were almost always, and forever will be the band I use as an example of what a great band should be (taking artistic risks, evolving, etc). Looking forward to witnessing the future of each member as individual artists outside of SY. Was a bummer at first, but in retrospect I seriously think it was about time for that band to throw in the towel. Still kinda wish they'd done an acoustic album, but really it matters not.

I've seen them several times, never once have I seen any of them outside of SY. Seeing Thurston in February...should be interesting. I'm looking forward to it.