Thread: Suicide Squad?
View Single Post
Old 08.03.2016, 11:36 AM   #1
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
... I hear it suuuucks.

I'll still see it, I guess. It comes out on my anniversary with my girlfriend. But after reading some of the preliminary reviews, I am almost dreading it.

Even with Batman v. Superman, there were a few ok to good reviews early on. Not many, certainly, but at least... y'know... like, one. I ended up enjoying that one a lot, despite its flaws. But this one starting to feel like it's going to be a chore.

Heard all this blah-blah about Jared Leto's "method acting" (not real... One must first be able to act before one can method act), but from what I'm hearing the Joker's a total bore, and is not even a major character in the film.

I think I'm starting to see a pattern in how WB/DC in the post-Dark Knight world is fucking their shit up. They're willing to compromise and re-arrange every idea they have just to ensure that it features one "must-see" element. In BvS that was Batman. Some focus groups probably told them that more people would see a film, regardless of the quality, if Batman was in it.
Makes sense... he's the most popular comic book hero in the world. But I'm guessing BvS would have been better if it had just been Man of Steel 2. Fewer ticket sales? Probably. But they would have had a better film and a better franchise on their hands if they hadn't pulled that out of their asses.

In Suicide Squad, it's the Joker. Everyone loves the Joker. Joker = Oscar. Joker reminds people of Dark Knight, which is loved by all. And yeah, Joker probably = more ticket sales, regardless of film quality. But if you have a ducky Joker in a sucky film, you're not doing anyone any favors, as you're killing your own cash cow.

Look at Guardians of the Galaxy. Huge hit, great movie, yet none of the characters are iconic in pop culture. Suicide Squad could/should be similar. Make a movie with some fresh characters, and do it well. In theory, that will give you more cash cows for future projects. Instead, this other thing is happening.

Anyway, who's gonna see it?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|