View Single Post
Old 03.04.2015, 09:49 AM   #46271
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I can empathize, Severian. I think many people can, actually! I feel like a great underachiever compared to many of my peers, often. Then other times I look back over the arc of a lifetime and I'm quite impressed with what I've been able to do, not least of which has been to make a long and productive career from a bachelor's in English and journalism! Not an easy field to make a lasting career in.

Also, I keep looking forward. At 60, I feel in many ways that I've only begun, and I intend to keep going for a long time to come. Like my golden retriever, I remain eternally optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
You know, I actually think this is kind of a "thing with me."

I am ashamed of my age. In more ways than I'm willing to admit. I'm ashamed of the fact that I have been roughly 5 years older than 85% of my co-workers over the last five years. I feel constantly guilty for how little I've accomplished in my life... so much of what I have accomplished has been purely for the sake of other people. And I'm ashamed that so few of the people that I've re-arranged my life for seem to be willing to even entertain the idea of supporting me (emotionally) while I pursue my own goals.

So while I wasn't truly slamming Steely Dan, and I was, more than anything, responding with self-deprecating remarks to Genteel's comment about gmku being old enough to be my father (which I suppose he is, and good on him for getting that far), I think it's true that I struggle with a covert and warped form of ageism that is a function of my own inability to feel content with myself or my life.

All I see is a big ticking clock.

I'm going through some shit right now. Sorry everyone.