View Single Post
Old 05.26.2017, 11:20 PM   #48814
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I knew it would be that one too.

I'll get *some* slack for this one. But sev feels me...

so y'know, there was basically pre-Nirvana/Nirvana/post-Nirvana "alternative". At least in my mind at the time. Right? And one of my favorite post-Nirvana bands in high school was Everclear. Probably the cool thing would have been to just realize that THIS album was fucking great. But no, I was super into them. Had everything I could find - World Of Noise, White Trash Hell, some promo stuff, saw them live, everything. Loved them. And I still have a weird soft spot but that's talk for another day. Because today I'll talk about Sparkle & Fade which is a fucking excellent album that I assume most dismiss because, well, it's Everclear. But this was before they really aimed for radio play. This shit is just really good - ahem - post-Nirvana alternative rock. "Electra Made Me Blind" is a killer opener. Then "Heroin Girl" and "You Make Me Feel Like A Whore" - total rockers. Great start. And if you ignore the overplayed "Santa Monica", which is fine, then there's plenty more great shit here. "Strawberry" is gorgeous. Just totally gorgeous. It's such a sad heroin song that manages to be upbeat with it's "don't fall down now/you will never get up" refrain counterbalanced against the brutal line "ten long years in a straight line/ they fall like water/ yes I guess I fucked up again." Wow. "The Twistinside" is another huge standout that nobody really mentions. But that cool lead and how it all builds up to the end. Plus Art made a bunch of lyrics that don't rhyme at all sound really natural - "breathing fire doesn't look good on a resume/but neither does anything else we do" - Great. There's some borderline um Cali-punk I guess? - with "Chemical Smile" and "Nahalem", and closer "My Sexual Life" is a fun semi-somber piece about being promiscuous in a small town. I don't know. There was plenty of pop-punk coming out of California at the time. But somehow this album from an Oregon band feels more like the summers I remember.