View Single Post
Old 02.08.2011, 12:06 AM   #47
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Hawkwind are one of my very favorite bands ever, but they are "space rock" to me, rather than "progressive rock." Too few IQ points, too simple of structures.

I know many thinks Hawkwind isnīt prog rock. But if you compare the band from King Crimson at seventies, itīs not very far from that band. Both have very beatiful melodies, both have used mellotron. I think the complexity of structures is not the main thing in prog rock, to me most important is kind of "otherly world feeling" prog rock bring to me.

Somebody has mentioned Blue Öyster Cult in this thread, I can understand why, but i didnīt mention it because many put it into hard rock genre. On the other hand in Hard rock/heavy there are lots of prog elements, for example Black Sabbath have used mellotron and strings and synths, Led Zeppelin Mellotron, Iron Maiden have complexity in songs (for example Rhyme of the ancient mariner, Seventh Son of a Seventh son) etc. To me almost all the music I listen, I mean music that just donīt do exactly same thing that some else before is prog rock. So I can say even Sonic Youth is prog rock.

What I really think is that all kind of categorising of music is kind of stupid. All that matters to me do the music gives me strong feelings. of couse we need some terms to discuss music, but thatīs stupid if somebody starts to say "itīs not prog or itīs not punk etc". I think the most boring music is that kind itīs doing all the things what belongs into itīs genre.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|