View Single Post
Old 03.01.2007, 04:39 PM   #23
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Making music seems to be a career option these days, not an art form.

Well said and very true.

I bring this up to people every now and then when it seems relevant to the situation: When I was in school, and this isn't even going back 10 years, to be a musician was somewhat of an outcast thing to be apart of. People were always so shocked to find out you played an instrument and there were only a handful, if that, more like 2 at the most, bands. Nowadays, it's the complete opposite. It's like teens are expected by their peers and just about everyone to be in a band or play an instrument - it's like it's a given. I'm speaking purely about Australia, of course. After I finished school I basically went straight into a sound engineering course where we were struggeling to get a class - where as I know people who do the course now, and there's too many people doing the course, there's numerous classes. I used to get asked if there wasn't any better way I should be spending my time other than music, now kids are being told music is a viable way of making a living. It's all quite ironic and crazy. It's good and it's bad. It's good because music is being taken serously and there is more venues to play at, but thisd also means every kid who plays, which is a word you could use loosely, thinks they're a musician. There's a big difference betweena musician and someone who just fools around on an instrument.

I partly blame the internet, and more importantly Myspace, for this.