View Single Post
Old 09.06.2007, 04:49 PM   #11
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, my favorites are lhabia lotion and be quiet and drive.

I, too, love the cover quite a bit; I read an article about it once that siad the girl had no idea she was going to be on an album cover and she was quite pissed about getting her picture taken.. you can kinda see an awkward smile on her face in that picture. Of course, the photographer tracked her down later and paid her tons of money -- but it was supposedly after the album had already been released ?!

Strangely, this is the only CD I've ever bought multiple copies of.

I also love "Rickets", very underrated, love when the music stops and you hear a SUPER lo fi guitar riff in the right speaker.. that song has a fucking Jesus Lizard rhythm in the verses if I've ever heard one.

The song "dai the flu".. apparently, the feedback parts on it were recorded on a fucked-up broken amp.. love the sick lurching bass..

"mascara" is beautiful, I put it on many mix tapes. I also love "Mx". It's quite repetive, but there's just something about it. The flanger (or whatever) vocals were a nice touch.

I really wished they'd just make a total MBV album. "White Pony" was big on atmospherics, but it seemed to lack the huge guitar sound of this album.

Chino is probably one of the best vocalists ever. Very.. acrobatic.. certainly the best graduate of the Mike Patton school of crooning-to-screaming.. I really like Chino, he's huge into shoegaze and Weezer (like I am) and he also is very very quiet and reserved and seems like he's distant from everything and everybody.. very interesting person.. I always wonder what the fuck he's talking about in some of these songs..

I dig "adrenaline".. "Nosebleed" and "Fist" (ghost track) are surprisingly amazing, and "fireal" is quite good.. actually.. yeah, haven't put that CD on in a while, but I think it's great. Who can forget "Root"? "WITH JESUS IN A BOWL WITH GERMS." One time, I heard this shitty band called Relative Ash, and one of their songs was the main riff from "Nosebleed" backwards. Hilarious.

OH, something else .. Deftones have a severe obsession with water.. at least on this album.. the album cover, obviously.. the water gurgling sound in "Mx".. both videos were filmed in the water or around the water.. (apparently, an unreleased video for "Around the Fur" had shots of water too). Oh, and I guess White Pony had "Digital Bath", another one of the best songs ever.

Fuck, this band's great!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|