View Single Post
Old 03.19.2009, 12:26 AM   #153
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Fresh Squeezed: Wand

jason - Posted on 17 March 2009

There was a time when you heard the phrase "home recordings" you would become a little leery of what you were purchasing. However, I think a lot of that changed when Bon Iver took over the scene with his debut collection of what were essentially home recordings. I have also been drawn to the raw, intimate nature of the a more stripped down collection. So naturally I was ecstatic (pun intended) when I received the forthcoming collection of demos, outtakes, and home recordings from James Jackson Toth (aka Wooden Wand, aka Wand). Most of the recordings on Hard Knox (Ecstatic Peace, May 26th) were done at his then-home in Knoxville, TN between October 2002 and January of 2007, just prior to the retirement of the Wooden Wand name.
Unlike what you may be expecting these are complete songs, complete thoughts, and when grouped together become their own album. Actually they become more than just an album, this is a view into the hidden sounds and thoughts of one of the more important figures in independent music today. In his letter to the press Wand had this to say, "I stand behind these songs as “snapshots” and enjoy them despite their many flaws. I hope you do, too."
Arriving (mp3)/Chrome/Lady of Situations/Eyes/Saturday Delivery/Blamelessness/All These Generous Men/Trails/Urchins/Dead of Night/Dark Is Bending/The Drag Pit/Death Dealer Blues/Soldier Movies (For Larry McMurtry)
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|