View Single Post
Old 12.12.2010, 03:05 PM   #17
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
I'm left cold by the actual political influence riot grrrl has had. It's seeing a resurgence because all these academic panels are talking about it in a way disproportionate to its effects. As a gay man a lot of my friends are offended (LOL) by my indifference to riot grrrl. It's become the new punk rock orthodoxy. I liked some of the music that came out of this but uh, I don't know, I recognize the importance of identity politics but that can be tiresome and limiting if it's your ONLY goal as an artist. Especially if you started sucking after one album.

And, sorry, but for all this anti-capitalist talk they spew around, there is BARELY any class-based analysis in any of their zines and writings. It's very second-wave feminist, very binary, constant usage of "boy boy boy" is bad, a very empty assessment of white privilege. Yeah, I have a dick, but I'm queer, does that mean I'm shit too? Or what about female-to-male transpeople? Do I fall into the punk rock boydom of suck that you rail against? It's playing oppression olympics. BORING. But I can forgive a little because they were like 18.
I'm left cold by gay politics and riot grrrl too. Always have and always will be. If you can only fight off offence, it means that you're not really affected by it.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|