View Single Post
Old 05.23.2008, 01:15 AM   #51
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
what HITS? what HITS are you talking about?

what HIT has sonic youth ever had?

their best selling "single" is the little trouble girl one.

they have no HITS.

I didn't put the "Hits" in the title, they did, to be all ironic about not having hits though this is a compilation of their best known and promoted songs (i.e. videos, singles, college radio charts, etc). I'm cool with that irony, it's even mildly amusing. I just don't buy that the songs were actually chosen by the artists without some major prodding from industry schmucks.

Radiohead (and we're to assume it was the whole band sitting around playing Wii games who decided in consensus) "picking" "Kool Thing" is the perfect example of the fabricated hype. I actually think Thom Yorke is a pretty cool, intelligent guy, and I like their music. I could see him picking "Providence" or "Unwind" or some other nice little oddity, but no we have the very best known and radio played song by SY instead. Of course "Radiohead" and their "radio song", it makes perfect sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
chill! remember this is an album for people at starbucks, many of which have never heard any beck, much less sonic youth.

Hey dude, I'm chillin' like a frapucinno! None of this matters at all, and if some thirty-something mocha drinker who has somehow made it to that point in their life never having heard of Sonic Youth picks it up and next thing you know is playing in a band opening for Wolf Eyes, then I guess it will all be worthwhile...

Thing is, living in the NW, I see plenty of people in Starbucks who know about this kind of stuff. When I lived in Oly, Justin Trosper's roommates at the Lucky Seven house all worked at Starbucks, and some went on to management. The select stores this will be in will be geared to a hipster market without question, and they're definitely hoping a few people who would normally be at the local independent coffee shop will come into pick it up and buy a four dollar drink while they're there.

The reality is that the post-punk and slacker generations are now becoming a middle age and middle income demographic. I remember a few years ago driving home and listening to NPR and they were talking about Wire on All Things Considered and thinking, wait a minute, they used to talk about Joni Mitchel, but now they've figured out I'm out here listening, and I'm a demographic. Such is life. Indie culture is relatively mainstream these days. Rolling Stone reviews bands and compares them to Big Black even though when Big Black was around they completely ignored their existence.

This compilation is for Starbucks customers and Sonic Youth fans and most specifically the people who happen to be both. All I was ever pointing out is that I don't buy the songs were really picked by the people that is says picked them.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|